Thursday, April 17, 2014

News: Book of Life, Big Hero 6, and Shaun the Sheep



Yikes, it's been almost a month since I've been here!  It's been a busy month, from wrapping up some personal art projects to some much needed job hunting.  But it's so good to be back to talking about what I love, so let's get to it!  I'm actually going to break up today's topics into separate posts, since there's so much to discuss.  First on the list is the latest news on some of this year's upcoming films!  Specifically, Big Hero 6 and The Book of Life.  I'm saving all of the How To Train Your Dragon stuff for a separate post, so we'll get to that later.



 First things first: The Book of Life has a release date for it's art book!  I love collecting animation art books, and I'm really digging everything I've seen so far for this film.  It seems to have such a unique visual style, and I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty!  According to this article on Dark Horse Comics, the book will be released on September 3rd.

Additionally, more plot details were released this week.  The Rotoscopers put up an article that gives the first real plot synopsis of the film and (thankfully) tells us that the pop music as listed in the synopsis won't be anything along the lines of Lady Gaga or Beyonce, but music from an alternative rock group called Cafe Tacvba and America's Radiohead.  I have no idea who either of these groups (people?) are, but I'll definitely be checking them out to see what the film will have in store for us.  And an actor was named: Diego Luna as the lead character Manolo.  I also have no idea who Diego Luna is or what he's been in, so I'll be looking him up later.

Official synopsis:

From visionary producer Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth) and director Jorge R. Gutierrez (El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera), this upcoming feature length film is a celebration of the power of friendship and family, told through stunning visuals.

The Book of Life is the journey of Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart.  Before choosing which path to follow, he embarks on an incredible adventure that spans three fantastical worlds where he must face his greatest fears. Rich with a fresh take on pop music favorites, The Book of Life encourages us to celebrate the past while looking forward to the future.


We also got the first official teaser poster for Big Hero 6!  Nothing fancy, but still exciting.  I love superhero films, and I'm really excited to see something new and obscure make it to the big screen.  Also, you should check out this great video that was actually released quite a while ago but gives some great details on the characters that we'll see in this film.  I already love these characters (and how about those awesome names?) and I haven't even met them yet!


Official Synopsis:

From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes “Big Hero 6,” an action comedy adventure about brilliant robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who finds himself in the grips of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. With the help of his closest companion—a robot named Baymax—Hiro joins forces with a reluctant team of first-time crime fighters on a mission to save their city. Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action and all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, the CG-animated “Big Hero 6” hits theaters in 3D on November 7, 2014. 


And lastly, a new trailer for Aardman's next film: Shaun The Sheep.  I'll be honest: I know nothing about this.  And when I say nothing, I really mean nothing.  I've never seen Wallace and Grommit (where Shaun originates from) so I'm really not intrigued or excited by this.  The animation's great, as it always is.  But I don't know what else to say...except that I'll definitely be checking out Wallace and Grommit sometime real soon.



Coming up later: Batman and How To Train Your Dragon 2!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment