Tuesday, March 18, 2014

EVEN BIGGER NEWS: Pixar announces 'The Incredibles 2' & 'Cars 3'!!!


There might not be a Pixar movie this year, but there are big things happening at the studio!  As if the new Peanuts trailer wasn't enough, today the announcement that fans have been waiting almost 10 years for: The Incredibles 2 is finally happening!!!!!  And a Cars 3, but I can live with that...because we're getting finally going to see the Incredibles again!!

According to this article on Variety, the announcement was made by Bob Iger at a shareholder's meeting.  No word yet if Brad Bird is returning to direct, but it was mentioned that he was writing the script.  I certainly hope he returns, and he easily could once his film 'Tomorrowland' debuts next year.  Brad Bird, in my opinion, is a genius, and the animation world needs people like him.  So cross your fingers, folks!


As I mentioned above, a Cars 3 was also announced, which I'm sure was met with a huge, collective groan and cries of  "Why???!!!" across the internet.  Personally, I'm not surprised by the announcement, but I'm not disappointed by it either.  I love the first Cars film.  I love the little town of Radiator Springs and I love the characters.  I relate to that film in that I spent the earlier years of my childhood in a very small community way up in the beautiful wilderness of California where everyone knew each other, and I often wonder if I could leave life in the fast lane for the wilderness again.  I enjoyed Cars 2 when it came out, but the more I thought about it the more problems I saw with it.  I don't hate the movie, I just find it incredibly disappointing since I love the original so much.  With a third movie, they have a chance to redeem themselves.  Now according to Michael Wallis (an expert on Route 66 and the voice of the Sheriff of Radiator Springs) heard in this interview here the third film will go back to open road.  We'll be back on historic Route 66 and Highway 99, a historic road in California.  

Now, I am not blind to the fact that the main reason this movie was probably greenlit was because it is a HUGE moneymaker for Disney, not because they had a fantastic story (an unfortunate reality of some animation).  Cars sells toys like nothing else, and Carsland in Disney's California Adventure draws huge crowds everyday.  Even so, I'm going to stay positive about this piece of news.  Cars 3 is a long way off, and Pixar has a lot of other great projects for us to look forward to until then.

  
Also related to Cars 3 is the return of Mater's Tall Tales, a series of shorts centered around Mater's crazy adventures.  I've enjoyed the ones in the past (El Materdor is a personal favorite), so I'll be checking these out when they finally debut.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I am excited for both of them. I watched the first Cars film with my Dad and whole family and it's just so nostalgic. Can't wait to see what Incredibles 2 will bring!

    ReplyDelete