Thursday, May 22, 2014

Big Hero 6 Trailer & Poster, Plus Details On Disney's Short Film "Feast"


The trailer is here...and it is AWESOME!




A couple things right off the bat:

I LOVE the anime inspired look.  There's something a little Miyazaki about the visuals, particularly Baymax, both as a nurse and as a super robot.  Nurse Baymax, by the way, is absolutely adorable.  I thought his design was particularly unique in that his body is like an inflatable balloon.  It actually makes me think of those thin, white medical gloves when filled with air.  It makes total sense, considering his original intention is to be a nurse.  Can't have your robot caretaker running the risk of accidentally injuring you!  As it turns out, there are engineers out in our world experimenting with "soft robotics" made of vinyl material, according to the official Big Hero 6 Tumblr.

I also really like Hiro.  He's a cute kid, and kind of reminds me of a young Tony Stark (minus the extreme sass).  The technology he's using is really cool (although being a 3D modeler, it was kind of frustrating to watch him build an awesome 3D model in less than 30 seconds.  If only we had such technology!), and I like that they combined computer modeling with 3D printing.  I can't wait to see Baymax actually do some fighting in that awesome suit!

Some people across the web are really confused as to why the Marvel logo wasn't displayed alongside the Disney castle, since the film is inspired by a series of Marvel comics of the same name.  I think the answer to that is simple: they don't want audiences to think that this is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  It's kind of unfortunate, because displaying the Marvel logo would put a lot more butts in theater seats come November.

All in all, this is a far superior teaser than what we got last summer for Frozen.  Instead of making me dread the film, it just gets me even more excited for it.  We get to see the main characters interact, and we get a little taste of their personalities and what their relationship to each other is.  I know I said it in my last post, but I'm really excited to see what they do with this boy and his robot.


I think it's safe to assume that from here on out, the news for Big Hero 6 is going to be coming out fast and furious...and in addition to the first trailer, Disney has also released a new poster for the film that continues the anime inspired visuals.  And as it turns out, that fancy suit of Baymax's has jets in his feet (lots of awesome flying sequences ahead!).  As if this couldn't get any better!


One of my favorite things about computer animation is seeing how traditional 2D styles translate to 3D, and it looks like this film is going to do a great job of it.  The poster is just oozing anime style and I can't wait to see more of it!!


Just as we saw with Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen, there will be a short film preceding Big Hero 6.  This year's new animated short film is called "Feast."  According to the Walt Disney Company website, Feast "the story of one man's love life seen through the eyes of his best friend and dog, Winston, and revealed bite by bite through the meals they share."


The short is helmed by first time director Patrick Osborne, who was the head of animation on Paperman.  Does that mean that Feast will feature a visual style similar to Paperman, but all in color?  I certainly hope so.  The animation on Paperman was amazing, and I can't wait to see how Disney has developed the technique since 2012.

Well, what did you think?  Are you interested in Big Hero 6?  Are you even more interested in it than you were for Frozen?  I certainly am!  Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for talking about this! I never knew anything about Big Hero 6 and now I've got another movie on my list to watch! Keep posting!

    November 7th, hurry up!!!

    ReplyDelete