Monday, September 8, 2014

New 'Star Wars Rebels' Video


More video promoting Star Wars Rebels was released in the last week!  Although I am really looking forward to the show, the video has me torn.  Some of it looks really great...and some of it makes me cringe.

First, the Good.  A little teaser shining the spotlight on the pilot, Hera, and Mandalorian, Sabine, was released to YouTube, and there's lots of cool action on display.  The second is some kind of exclusive look from the first episode, and it looks really great.  The interactions between the characters are fantastic, and it's nice to see some quiet moments in the episode with no music, similar to some scenes from A New Hope.





And then something like this last clip comes along.  This is actually the last of the shorts that will be released before the first episode premieres, and it's called "Property of Ezra Bridger."


This short has the exact same problem that the "Art Attack" short featuring Sabine and the "Entanglement" short featuring Zeb had: the imperial troops being total idiots.  I'd go as far as saying there almost too stupid to live.  Stormtroopers may have the reputation of being bad shots and getting their butts handed to them by the Ewoks, but there were plenty of moments when they were threatening in A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.  Watching them here makes me cringe.

And Ezra makes me cringe, as well!  I liked the kid in the exclusive sneak peak above, and in the clip of the first seven minutes, but here he just annoys me.  Which is a shame, because I do like the character...mostly.  I like that he steals imperial helmets, and I like that he's smart.  But having him be smarter than the troopers is just a bit much.

It's almost like I'm watching two different shows, in a way.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.  Clone Wars started out pretty lighthearted, and grew darker as time went on.  Maybe Rebels will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment